Hi friends, I've moved the blog.

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds.

If your're not redirected then come on over to
http://bigcityislandgirl.wordpress.com

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Balancing school, work and my Caribbean passion

It's 8:40 a.m. and I'm awake...it's a minor miracle. I'm still groggy but thought I should crank out a post as it's been a while since I've blogged. Why did I think that balancing 3 days of grad. school a week, working part-time four days a week and volunteering for several projects would be a good idea?
But anyhoo, life in the Big City is definitely moving at top speed. In about six weeks I'll be done with my first year of grad. school (Go me!) and hopefully I'll be interning somewhere. So while I'm looking forward to summer, I know that the work won't be over anytime soon. I'm reminded here of a post by author Seth Godin. In it he talks about sprinting, not in the literal sense of the word but as it relates to getting projects done. It struck a chord with me because sometimes we do need to sprint to get papers done, to get projects completed and when you're doing it, your fears really do fall away and your creativity and resourcefulness come into play. But I've come to realize that I've been doing a lot of sprinting lately and that can quickly lead to burnout. So as exciting as the Big City is right now, I know I have to pace myself if I intend to accomplish everything I'd like to. So that's that.
In other Island Girl news, I've been doing a lot of research lately on Caribbean events taking place in North America as I hope to get involved through volunteering and such. What I've discovered is an appalling lack of information on so many of the events and happenings that have been billed as big Caribbean hapenings. Granted I've been doing my research via the internet and not by phone, this is the way that most people research events these days! If there is a web presence, it is not as polished as it should be in order to attract sponsors and attendees. Without naming organizations, (and I know I've harped on this before) the Internet is the cheapest and easiest way to garner publicity, so use it to your advantage! That goes for every organization and that concludes my post for today. Hopefully I get around to posting more often even as the semester starts closing in around me :-)
Also, I'm thinking about moving the blog to Wordpress, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment