Hi friends, I've moved the blog.

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds.

If your're not redirected then come on over to
http://bigcityislandgirl.wordpress.com

Monday, January 5, 2009

It's the start of a New Year!

It's the start of a New Year!

Haven't written anything here in while have I. Well that's because the full weight of grad school came crashing down on me between October and December. Was a tough few months but I made it out alive. Since the last entry I've done a few interesting things (well interesting to me)...first of which was attending the National Communication Association (NCA) conference in San Diego. Having never been to the West Coast it was something I'd been looking forward to and the trip didn't disappoint.

For those not in the know..the NCA is the 'oldest and largest national organization to promote communication scholarship and education' (www.natcom.org). Every year they host their convention where scholars from all over the U.S. and the world come to present the latest research in many areas of communication ranging from political communication, to PR to rhetorical communication. As a newbie I wasn't sure what to expect but was pleasantly surprised. First off, California is gorgeous!! Reminded me of being back home a bit. It was good to get away from the freezing east coast weather. Then there were the panels I attended. There were some really interesting presentations on reputation management and image repair which sparked ideas of things I'd like to do my thesis on. In fact I wrote a paper for a final on Apologia and extramarital affairs of politicians, something I hope to expand upon and submit to the NCA conference next year. As someone profesionally interested in PR and publicity, I find the reputation management line of research muy interesting.

Apart from the excitement of the conference, it's a new year! New Year means new beginnings and I have a few resolutions I'm working on, the everpresent 'lose weight' is still at the top of the list :) And then of course, classes begin anew next week. This semester I'll be taking, Journalism, Qualitative Research and Public Opinion and Attitude Change..all in all I'm looking forward to tackling this New Year head on.

Signing out for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment